Friday, May 11, 2007

Another meme

I have to post these rules before I give you the facts.
Each player starts with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
People who are tagged need to write their own blog about their eight things and post these rules.
At the end of your blog, you need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names.
Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged, and to read your blog.

I'll skip the tagging bit, always thought playing tag got a bit rough :-)


Food: I'm a sweet tooth. Chocolate, fruit, tiramisu -- these foods talk my language.I was brought up on bland, English style cooking, and never liked it much.I enjoy learning new cuisines. I only cook with recipes when i want to learn something new, or for really special occasions.Otherwise I regard recipe books more as inspirational reading rather than instruction manuals. hmm .. does that make me a kitchen liberal?



Family: One husband, one son, one daughter, one daughter-in-law. very precious to me. none of our extended family live further than 20 minutes drive away, but I'm not close to any of them. Even as a child I regarded my friends as my real family. To be honest I don't really know what it would feel like to experience real love from parents or siblings. I am dutiful towards extended family, but find them very stressful to have any dealings with.



Exercise: What's that? No, I do try to walk a bit, it's hard with back problems, and having the temperament of a couch potato and the coordination of a limp stick of celery doesn't help.At school sport was the one subject I hated as much as sewing. I just don't get it.



Profession: I dropped out of uni to get married, spent 2 years working in a clerical job, and retired the moment my husband graduated (the government office I worked in was a nasty place -- I got on OK with people, but they were always having fights with each other, and no one was trustworthy. I brought up my kids (doing stuff like Sunday School teaching and writing on the side -- I have a whole unpublished novel on my computer) And then, at age 47, went back to Bible college to work on my theology degree part time. I'm hoping to finish at the end of the year, and I'm waiting, with a sense of curious anticipation, to see what doors God opens then. my passion is preaching, teaching and praying with people, my denomination doesn't ordain women.


Obsession: Umm .. I'm not a very obsessive person. Does chocolate count? or poetry? Or going to the theatre? I'm very into hugs ..


Faith: The centre of my life. I became a christian at 16 (March 15th, 1971 -- do your own maths!)And the story of how I got there and where I've been since, and the hard places I've been with Jesus, particularly working through abuse issues, is the story of my whole life. Church-wise i was raised Anglican, married a Presbyterian, spent 20 years with the Prezzies, 3 disastrous years in a house church and am now back in an Anglican church. I became a christian in a church that didn't preach the gospel, got the gift of tongues in an anti-charismatic church, studied theology in a church that doesn't encourage women to teach .. What's next? (I don't think I'm very good at that conformity thing either.



Ailments: back problems (3 discs in a row with major problems) are my biggie, probably dating back to when I was knocked down by a car as a teenager. I get migraines instead of getting angry, and I've inherited the high blood pressure of both my parents (but one tablet a day seems to keep it good) And, at 52, it's still only the very smallest print I need glasses for. My cholesterol and blood sugar are good. (Despite the chocolate, i really eat pretty lhealthy -- lots of salads and lean meat)



Games: Computer ones are a good way to relax, or to keep one part of my mind occupied so the rest of it can nut through stuff. I hate strategy games, i have a very unstrategic mind. Chess is as mysterious to me as reverse parking! OTOH I'm really good at games that require you to think on the run rather than strategise. And I love word games.

3 comments:

Kevin Knox said...

Excellent and fun. :-) Thank you.

> I don't think I'm very good at that conformity thing either.

Your faith story is great. It sounds like one expensive walk, but you wear it well.

Suzanne R said...

This is an interesting meme. Did you pick your own words to write about? I don't know if I could come up with 8 of them on my own -- if I do it, I may need to borrow some of yours. :-) I'll just have to see how creative I become, maybe not until tomorrow, though, as the sleepies are coming upon me at the moment.

Suzanne R said...

I have posted mine!