Friday, September 01, 2006

What is a pickle?

As those who have read the beginning of my blog know, I call myself 'blestpickle' and this blog 'Out of the Pickle jar' because of an old family joke about being a naughty pickle. I had actually been thinking of changing the name of my blog because i wondered if people might mistake it for a recipe blog or household hints or something like that. .. (Yes, I do cook, but I neither cook nor eat pickles - that would be cannibalism, and a great perversity!) but then I just read something written by codepoke over on http://familyhoodchurch.blogspot.com/ that gave a whole new dimension to what it means to be a pickle!

We talked about sin and repentance and how baptism is likened to pickling cucumbers. I thought that was so cool. ... A certain ancient Greek explained how to baptize a cucumber in vinegar to turn it into a pickle. We are preserved in Christ.

Think of it! I am a pickle because I am preserved in Christ!

No comments: