Friday, March 24, 2006

other people's poems

Have just finished watching "in her shoes" with my daughter. Great movie, though a sad reminder that I have never shared a bond like that with my own sisters (we are different creatures, on different planets, and always have been) At the end they read an e e cummins poem that I have never heard of before, but I liked it, so I looked it up. Here it is:


i carry your heart with me

i carry your heart with me(i carry it inmy heart)i am never without it(anywherei go you go,my dear; and whatever is doneby only me is your doing,my darling)i fearno fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i wantno world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)and it's you are whatever a moon has always meantand whatever a sun will always sing is youhere is the deepest secret nobody knows(here is the root of the root and the bud of the budand the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which growshigher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars aparti carry your heart(i carry it in my heart) ee cummings

Also, I came across a verse of a hymn by a guy called Brian Wren a new name to me. I would love to find more of his stuff, it has a lot of pickle appeal. This is the short excerpt that I found


Here hangs a man discarded,A scarecrow hoisted high,A nonsense pointing nowhereTo all who hurry by.Can such a clown of sorrowsStill bring a useful wordWhere faith and love seem phantomsAnd every hope absurd?
(Brian Wren copyright 1973, 1975 CCLI # 1050338)

Great stuff!

No comments: