Sunday, May 20, 2007

Personal practice of prayer

Something I had to prepare for a tutorial a couple of years ago: some notes on my personal paractice of prayer in answer to some basic questions. maybe they're questions you'd like to think about too ..

Of course there are a couple of things I might add now, but I'll save that for another time


MOST EFFECTIVE?
Praying with others in likeminded pursuit of God
Also, prayer ministry in church or elsewhere
Better at listening than talking
WHY? Thrive on the encouragement of others
Love doing personal ministry – I just get so excited when I see God at work in other people’s lives

REGULAR – TIME? Whenever .. I try to discipline myself to keep tuning myself back in to God and consciously connect to Him

PLACE? Shower, car, walking, sitting at computer, lying awake in bed, being moved to pray for strangers in the street

POSITION? Sitting, standing, lying down.
Have been known to dance in the shower, but that was probably a mistake
Have learned to always keep eyes open when driving


BIGGEST OBSTACLES?
No good at long solitary blocks of time
Distractions of an over-active imagination
Because I can’t figure out the QT thing, lack of scriptural impetus into prayer
Sometimes feel confused about what is prayer and what isn’t
Sometimes out of touch with own needs and feelings

HOW OVERCOME?
Trying to work on making myself pick up a bible more.

1 comment:

Suzanne R said...

I had to chuckle about your needing to keep your eyes open when praying while driving. ;-)

I also wanted to let you know that I have tagged you for a meme, if you're interested. If so, check out my blog (it's the non-cat portion). :-)