Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Repentance

A poem for Lent ..


REPENTANCE
The heart submits to it’s pain
As a bird to a thorny nest.
Oh Lord, must I walk again
Through the desert of the test?

Must I turn and face the dark
When my hunger is for light?
Yet I followed a self-lit spark
As I stumbled through the night.

And the fortress that I built
For the easing of my soul
Is now the den of guilt
I must leave it to be whole.

I must leave it, I must go
Through the torn up, shambled street
Though my steps are halt and slow
Chained to my vast defeat.

Chained, desolate, afraid
Borne by a shrinking will
To where I am unmade
And Your arms wait me still.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Suzanne R said...

I have had issues with repentance, because the way I was raised, it was something you did to yourself, reaming out your heart and soul until you were abject and broken-hearted. I can now much more readily accept that it is something done with Jesus and through His death on the cross, and cannot possibly be a product of our own thoughts and feelings.