Wednesday, May 24, 2006

courage

This morning I've had going through my head the words of an old hymn:

"Father, hear the prayer we offer,
Not for ease that prayer will be,
But for strength that we may ever
Live our lives courageously."

I remember C S Lewis said, I think it was in Mere Christianity, that courage is the most important virtue because without it we wouldn't be able to practise any of the others for very long. It's true: love, generosity, humility, gentleness, self-control, patience, faith etc etc .. at some point they all require courage to keep walking in them. And courage means different things to different people, what for one person is an easy thing, for another will mean wrestling with their deepest fear. Courage isn't about not feeling afraid (Heck., there are some situations where that should be called stupidity, or at least lack of imagination) courage is about following through with what you have purposed to do (because you believe you should) irrespective of how afraid you feel. Which brings me to a quote from another hymn. This one I've never heard sung, but this verse was in a little book I was given for my confirmation, and I've treasured it ever since:

Where'er the gentle heart
Finds courage from above
Where'er the heart forsook
Warms to the breath of love
Where faith bids fear depart
City of God thou art.

No comments: